2014 @ National University of Singapore, Interactive and Digital Media Institute, Crowd Trail project. I had studied APP marketing and build the business models with travel industry.In order to improve the APP service offering and knowing how service gets produced is essential for addressing breakdowns or pain points. I used service blueprints to design a new service that mixes digital and non-digital touch points. Moreover, it can help the team to exam and implement the delivery of complex services.
Service blueprints expose and involve many of the core concepts. Service blueprints clarify the interactions between service users, digital touch points, and service employees, including the front stage activities that impact the customer directly, and the backstage activities that the customer does not see.
The blueprint shows processes, divided into different components which are separated by lines:
- Customer Actions: The steps that customers take as part of the service delivery process.
- Front stage (Visible Contact Employee) Actions: This element is separated from the customer actions by a ‘line of interaction’. These actions are face-to-face actions between employees and customers.
- Behind the Scenes (Invisible Contact Employee) Actions: The ‘line of visibility’ separates the onstage from the Backstage actions. Everything that appears above the line of visibility can be seen by the customers, while everything under the line of visibility is invisible for the customers.
- Support and Systems: The ‘internal line of interaction’ separates the contact employees from the support processes. These are all the activities carried out by individuals and units within the company who are not contact employees. These activities need to happen in order for the service to be delivered.
Planes Service Blueprinting differentiates between five degrees of client interaction and integration:
- Client interaction line: separates the process steps of the service activities that the client carries out independently.
- Visibility line: separates the service activities that the client can see from the service activities which are hidden from view. Above the line, the process components that can be seen, heard, smelt or perceived are ordered.
- Internal interaction line: separates activities that imply immediate relation to the client’s order from support activities. Support activities serve as the preparation for the primary activities but do not belong to the client’s order.
According to the emotional journeys, we can find out some problems when people in the trips.
Problem: Too much information.
Problem: Complicated procedures.
When the crowd trails member is searching the trails, they will find out many interesting places. The Crowd trails members might click the link to the travel company to have a trip. The company can help them booking the hotel, information on and reservation of local activities, reservation of other tourist services such as meals and car rental.
Problem: Lack of guidelines.
The crowd trails APP can automaticity give directions to the user.
If users need the taxi, the system can connect to the Taxi call system.
Part C and D
Add some interactions: Automatically give directions to the users.
Travelers create new trails. Members discuss the trails in the Crowd Trials platform and press the “like” bottom or sharing to the social network. The comment of the travel can be the dates of the Trails database.
You can zoom the PDF file to 200% and explore the customer journey by yourself.crowdtails_service-blueprint-copy
Instructors : Keio-NUS CUTE (Connective Ubiquitous Technology for Embodiments) center. Professor Ellen Yi-Luen Do, Dr. Kelvin Cheng